Enrollment Application Instructions 2017-2018 School Year
One application must be filled out for each child who wishes to attend THE ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL.
- Only one application will be accepted per child.
- Applications must be received by April 3, 2017 to be entered into the lottery. Lottery will be held on April 4, 2017.
- An application must be submitted for each sibling before the lottery deadline. (For the purposes of the lottery, two students are siblings if and only if one student has a legal parent, legal guardian, or legal foster parent who is also the legal parent, legal guardian, or legal foster parent of the other student.)
An adult will only be considered a student’s legal parent if there is proof of blood-relation (as evidenced by valid birth certificate), legal adoption (as evidenced by valid, appropriate court documents), or legal marriage (i.e. step-child, as evidenced by a valid marriage certificate). An adult will be considered a student’s legal guardian or legal foster parent only if there is proof of such a relationship (as evidenced by valid, appropriate court documents).
- Applications are not considered valid until they have been received and reviewed for completeness and a confirmation card or email has been sent back to the applicant.
- If information on the application is incorrect, the application will be considered invalid, and any offer made for a place in the school based on this information will be taken back.
For example, if the application indicates that the child will be 5 years old by December 31st, but in reality the child is not, the offer will be rescinded. Likewise, if the application indicates that the child will be entering a given grade in September 2017, but the child is actually entering a different grade – for any reason – the offer will be rescinded, and the child will have to reapply for the grade in which they are entering.
- If the students or parent/guardian’s address or phone number changes, please notify the school so that we may contact you in the event that the student is offered a place at the school.
- The school is a public school open to all applicants entering grades K-10, based on space availability within each grade.
- Any child qualified under the laws of New York State for admission to a public school is qualified for admission to the THE ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL; there is no tuition.
- Students who have a disability or who may be in need of special education services or programs are eligible for admission into the school on the same basis as all other students.
Students will be admitted to the school by lottery.
- The lottery is open to all eligible applicants applying to grades K-10.
- All applications received by APRIL 3, 2017 at 4:00 pm will be separated by grade and entered into the lottery.
- The lottery will be on held on April 4, 2017.
- A random drawing of names by grade will be held.
- Preference will be given to siblings enrolled at THE ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL, students of staff of THE ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL, and then students residing in HEMPSTEAD UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT.
- If students do not accept their spots by the registration deadline, those spaces will be given to students on the waiting list.
Non-Discrimination Statement: A charter school shall not discriminate against or limit the admission of any student on any unlawful basis, including on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, gender, disability, intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, race, creed, national origin, religion or ancestry. A school may not require any action by a student or family (such as an admissions test, interview, essay, attendance at an information session, etc.) in order for an applicant to either receive or submit an application for admission to that school.